Jul 28, 2010

The Scoop

I am still waiting. The good news is that I got the second (final) steroid shot today, and hopefully this will significantly improve baby's lung function. No contractions of substance yet. I spoke with the N.I.C.U. today, and they explained what will most likely occur. The big things are making sure baby can breathe independently, learn to suck, swallow, and breathe concurrently, and of course gain weight. I guess the baby will be started on an IV for food immediately, and we will "practice" nursing, until baby figures it out. I will have to pump for baby, and we will get to hold him/her a lot, and so will the kids too, so that's good news. The estimated time in NICU is anywhere from 3 weeks on. I am praying for a little overachiever and 2 weeks in...but only time will tell. As for me, the Doctor and I are in negotiations over things like: how long I should be on the monitor during the day, and how long I get to sit here not having contractions. He is basically of the opinion that I will be having this baby before Friday morning, and I am statistically probably going to, but I am keeping my options open, and hoping for more time for the baby to grow. That's my story today....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with everything Kara! Can't wait to see pics of your newest babe!

Shannon said...

Hospital stays are never ever fun. Hope things continue on a positive track... Our thoughts are with you and your little one!