Oct 2, 2008

E.R.

So I spoke too soon. Two nights ago, I woke up to a big gush of blood, and a clot about the size of my palm. Tim and I rushed down to the E.R. and spent the night getting a variety of tests done. The conclusion: Complete Placenta Previa. Not good news, but luckily the baby is doing fine. My placenta has implanted directly over the cervix, making a C-section the only safe option. However, I am now on strict bed rest until I either get far enough along to schedule c-section, or until I start contracting, dilating, or bleeding. The big concern of course is the risk of hemorrage, and the baby bleeding out if the placenta is compromised by tearing away from the cervix as I progress. Hence the inability for me to be upright...the less pressure on the placenta...the better. So as I lay here in my bed typing this, I am trying to be grateful for all the little things that have gone right instead of worrying and focusing on the disappointment of not having another home birth. So here are the ways in which we have been blessed:
1. Finding out before I was in actual labor...probably saved the life of this little baby, and possiby mine as well.
2. Instincts, or promptings, mine and Tim's...we both felt like something was not normal, and that we needed to investigate, we had actually scheduled some tests and an ultrasound the same day that this all happened.
3. A great midwife who was right on board with us the whole way, and who told us to get to the hospital immediately. A woman who I love because she took my phone calls at 2 am, 4 am , and 6 am from the hospital and comforted me, and encouraged me.
4. I am glad this didn't happen while we were in Texas or on the airplane, 3 days earlier.
5. A good nurse who didn't treat me like a crazy person, and a Doctor who respected where we were coming from and was encouraging, and willing to work with us on keeping this baby safe, without keeping me in the hospital for the next month.
6. Jessica, I don't think the fact that she ended up here is just a happy coincidence.
7. Good friends and neighbors who are all willing to help, generous with their time, and food, and friendship.
8. For once I am really glad that I am a neurotic freak...I had actually finished packing, mostly, and had things organized enough that being on bed rest won't absolutely kill everyone else as we get ready to move.

5 comments:

Helen said...

Kara and Tim, we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. I know that it is tough not to have your baby at home, especially when that is what you want. I am sure that all will be well.
Your friend
Helen

Anonymous said...

Hi Kara - I'll be thinking about you and your little one. Take car of yourself and catch up on some reading and movies.

cindy W said...

Kara...hang in there and get lots of rest! Don't worry, you might like the ease of having a c-section afterall...
Take care...how much longer do you have?

Dawna said...

Kara - please let us know if you need ANYTHING. We love you and are praying for you.
Dawna & Joe

Sweetarita said...

I love that you can see all the blessings that you have in your life when things are crazy. I hope all goes well with the babe and you. Gook Luck.