Jun 9, 2008

Growing Season

I have been obsessing lately about the importance eating and feeding my kids a more healthy whole food diet, growing my own garden, and teaching my kids to work past the point of comfort. Why? Well, I guess partly because I love growing a garden, partly because we are supposed to grow stuff if we can, partly because then we know exactly what we are eating, and finally because my kids are over-indulged. Don't get me wrong, they are great kids, not even terribly bratty, but they really have it pretty easy. I think it is so important for kids to learn to do work that is uncomfortable, and even difficult. (Remember working on the corn picker Jen?) It is a great life lesson I suppose, and they don't get many opportunities to do that.

So I was trying to talk Tim into buying me a farm, but I guess we don't have to now, since someone in my ward offered to let me plant a huge garden on their 10 acre farm. What a blessing! Truly an answer to my prayers. So 10 days ago we went and spent 4 hours planting everything I could think of.

A few strawberries, tomatoes, onions, peppers, lettuce, spinach, carrots, beets, peas, beans, cucumbers, corn, pumpkins, squash, cantalope, and watermelon. Yee ha. So I take the kids there a couple times a week, and we weed, and water, and check on our plants.

I am so excited about this. And being the ridiculous organizer/nerd that I am, I even laminated labels for each variety of plant so I will know which ones are the best tasting or best producing. I will keep you all posted on our progress as the summer goes along, and hopefully we will have an amazing harvest at the end of all this hard work. But don't worry it isn't all work and no play...

6 comments:

jenniho ♥ said...

Kara - I think this is awesome!! You'll have to tell me how it goes. I started my own mulch pit a couple of months ago and have told Todd to make me some raised beds in anticipation of my own garden in my back yard next year! We have plenty of room for what I want. I'm certainly not going big like you - just some veggies and stuff - Corn, (of course!). This year I'm concentrating on my flower beds and various ground covers for the 'natural areas'. I'm trying to get it all done before it gets too hot.- which doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon.

The Dudley Bunch said...

Hopefully I will have some good advice for you...who knows? I think it would be great to have some raised beds, that would be how I would do it if I have my way.

cindy W said...

All I can say is WOW

Sweetarita said...

I love my little garden and I love that my cub scout has to water every day to get a gardening badge. Too bad he already did it last year-do you think I could coherse him in to trying to get the badge twice?
You're right about hard work-kids these days need a lot more of it- it didn't kill us did it!! OK now I am sounding really old!
Good luck and I'm coming over when the harvesting is done!

cindy W said...

Hey Larita...remember when we were chopping broccoli for Johnson's, and we both chopped our ankles and had to share bandaids? We are blood-sisters..yah!

Anonymous said...

You go girl! I've never grown my own garden - I feel like a big loser!