Apr 19, 2010

Fit Parents



I can be the first to admit, that most of the time around here, it is a little chaotic. Especially if you don't know that there is in fact a method to the madness. It may look like there was some kind of explosion resulting in the clothes, shoes, and miscellaneous other crapola on the floor, but usually it is just the result of six people rushing through the day trying to find the appropriate outfit, shoes, homework, library books, bills to pay, and food to eat.
I have become accustomed to the madness, but every once and a while I am reminded that maybe this doesn't seem "normal" to everyone. For example, last night, Tim had a very nice patient and his wife stop by the house. They have been married over 20 years...no kids. During the course of the evening, Josh shut his finger in the door, a bottle of pop got knocked off the table, Josh kicked a volleyball and smashed Cooper in the head with it, Piper informed them that Tim didn't flush the toilet that morning, and provided other excellent details about Tim and his habits. It was a normal night at the Dudley house. However, these great people spent the majority of their time here, observing us like zoo animals. I distinctly got the feeling that we were highly entertaining to them. Add to that, a comment from one of our good friends, "Tim, I have started saving up so you can have a vasectomy." (and this after all the kids were already in bed) I'm starting to get a complex.
I know it's crazy at times, but I wouldn't trade it for the world, but my standards are definitely shifting. I am no longer worried about doing everything perfectly, or doing everything period. I mostly worry about keeping everyone alive and reasonably happy. I don't think that makes me an unfit mother.... And if the kids faces are dirty, or their clothes don't match....well I just don't care because I am thinking about other things, like: Does duct tape really get rid of warts? and Where did Josh's homework go, again? and "Should we put Tatym in advanced math class? and What can I make for dinner that will get the least groans? and What should I tell Josh when he feels bad about making a kid pass out at wrestling? and How do you get sharpie off the wall? and Who has what activities tonight? etc etc. And guess what? I have pretty thick skin, so go ahead and laugh at Piper's fuzzy hair, and Cooper's dirty shirt, I can take it, and smile all the while, in fact I will regale you with dozens of stories about my greatest parenting bloopers...and there are a lot of them...bring it on.

10 comments:

Helen said...

I think you guys are great, and genuine, which makes me respect you all the more.

I thought you all looked very well put together yesterday at church, if that is any consolation. It was nice to see you all.

jenniho ♥ said...

The craziness is my favorite part about you & your house. It's like going to a circus!...J/K!
You have helped me relax about the lack of order in my own house. Once you relax about the little things, life is better!

Francis Family said...

I may be in a different stage than you, but I don't think my house is any better. (Plus it's probably 12 times smaller) I have definitely learned to relax and not worry about stuff.
Your not alone and your kids are cute and you guys seem so happy, so who cares!

amysteed said...

i like this post alot. you guys are the greatest!

jonballphoto said...

Laugh out loud funny. I can hear your voice saying these words. So much fun to read. "Tim's other habits" Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Funny post

-TIM

Sweetarita said...

Right there with ya babe!!!

dianeb said...

Kara - I love this-
things get pretty crazy here - nice to know I'm not alone!

Lauren Nicole Dudley said...

I hope I can be this when i'm a mother someday! haha...Love you guys and your KIDS!

T-licious D-zire and C-hillins said...

Kara..... you are the cutest!! And I'm sure your kids are adorable with messy faces! :) Your life is way more normal than mine, period!