May 28, 2009

Family of Seven





It's official: We are now a family of seven...well actually eight (jessica), or nine (blake and jessica). Whatever. We are a huge family now it seems. I always knew our door would be open to anyone who needed us, and over the years we have had our nephew Matt live with us, then his whole family for a short while after they moved back here, then our good friend Brett Ralph while he was here for BSU summer football camp, and Jessica for the past 10 months. In all honesty, I have cherished these times.
This past weekend we adopted...I have wanted to adopt since we got married, and as Tim said, "You always knew you would adopt, you just never knew it would be a sixty-four year old black lady!"
Yep, for those of you who haven't heard the story: Tim served his mission in Independence,Missouri. Most of this mission was spent in the inner city Kansas City. Sister Marie Rose, (yes that is Tatym's namesake...Tatym Rose) was "the one" he was sent to K.C. for....he instantly bonded with her, and was able to baptize her and some of her kids. We have kept in contact with her over the years and got a call from her daughter a month ago. Her daughter told us how ill she has been, and that she just kept talking about "dudley".
After talking with her, we both knew we needed to go get her, and bring her home with us. She is the sweetest, most faithful lady you could imagine, and it has been a huge blessing for us so far.
She flew on a plane for the first time on her way to Boise, and she just kept praying...we are kindred spirits.
When we arrived in Boise, she said she could feel that the Holy Spirit was strong here and she just felt peaceful. She will never go back to Kansas City...I am pretty sure. She wept when we saw the temple and I told her that I would take her up there whenever she wanted. She is in awe of this place, of life here, and she is hoping her kids will somehow find a way out and make their way out here too.
While in Kansas City, we took her daughter Quida, and her boyfriend, her 4 kids, and grandson, out to dinner and to a movie. My kids bonded with hers immediately and I was so proud of how they just accepted them and didn't question where or how they live. It was so great for them to see the differences and have an appreciation for where Sister Rose is coming from. They don't have a car, so it was funny how we managed to fit all 13 of us in the rental van.



Anyhow we had an awesome time in Missouri, we took the kids to Liberty Jail (which we all the loved...the Spirit is strong there), and the Independence Visitor's center, lots of bbq and down home food, and a ton of great experiences...






The kids instantly fell in love with Sister Rose and her whole family, and after our first visit with her in the hospital, as we were leaving, Josh said, " I kind of wanted to kiss her on the cheek...she is sooo nice." So needless to say...she is fitting in just like she belongs.

5 comments:

jenniho ♥ said...

Can't wait to meet Sis Rose...are you sure me & my yungins won't disturb her too much? See ya tomorrow!

Sweetarita said...

Kara...that is so great. The pictures are awesome...I especially love that little baby! Hope things go well for you all.

TAMPA said...

That is just awesome !! What a great addition to the fam... and learning experience !! She is blessed to have you guys.

Anonymous said...

I love this Kara! You have such a big heart. Good luck with everything.

Shari Baker said...

I am a good friend of Dawna Burket and also served in the Missouri,Independence Mission. Dawna told me about Sis. Rose. I have now been home six years this August. I was Sis. Pincock as a missionary. I was an Independence Visitors' Center sister, however, I was in the innercity (Riverview) ward for the first 9 months of the mission. 1/2 day V.C. and 1/2 day proselyting. I fell in love with the people in the city and am certain I've spoken with Sis. Rose. What a blessing to have her in your home. I would love to come and chat with her about the ward in KCMO sometime. Thank you for your giant hearts. Understanding the lives of so many in Kansas City I know that she most certainly considers your family a blessing.